Thursday, February 18, 2016

Peels... Glycolic and Salicylic Acids

(I have been using Glycolics and salicylic acids for decades!!!!! No filter and No makeup!!!)

Skin peels have been around for at least  20 years... That's when I started having them. I was in college and my dermatologist would give me a glycolic acid based peel I help with my horrible acne. I would stay clear for a few weeks then my skin would break out again. This was back when insurance would pay for peels!!! That was awesome!!! Now ummm not so much.

Peels ...whether glycolic or salicylic or lactic or a combo of several types of acids are applied to the skin can now be done by licensed aestheticians (that's me) or a Derm or even your MD.. 

I prefer to use lighter type peels with very little down time. As most people don't have the time to
spend hanging out inside looking like a lizard she adding their skin. 

With milder peels... You can expect a fresh appearance immediately afterwards. Peels help with cellular turnover. Meaning chemically exfoliating the top layer off bringing forward your new fresh skin. 

Mechanical exfoliation would be using some type of clarisonic brush or even just a mild baking soda and water mixture. 

I recommend to my clients to start with a peek every few weeks until you get your skin where you want it. Then a maintenance of 1 per month. 

Keep in mind that it is very important to use daily SPF even if you only plan to be inside as Glycolics and any fruit acids make your skin very sun sensitive. 

Also make sure to keep your skin looks it's best that your at home routine incorporates glycolic, Retinol, antioxidants, and SPF!!!! 

Or you will not only be wasting your money but your skin will not look the very best that it can!!! 

Here are some of my favs! 

No comments: